Do you always ignore 3-reel slots in favour of ones with five reels? Don’t knock ‘em – those three-reel games offer oodles of entertainment if you give them a try. If you’re not convinced, read on to find out why these slots are still popular.
They’re certainly not dull, outdated, and boring. In fact, you might be surprised to discover how many surprises lie in wait for you when playing these games.
Where we play the classics
Slots are the key casino game to expect at Top Dog Slots. There are hundreds to choose from once you’ve secured some free spins from the Mega Reel.
Wink Slots provides new slots, popular, and jackpot slots, so there’s always something going on. You can also enjoy some free spins to use even before you make a deposit.
Head into the slots area and find a range of great titles to check out. Furthermore, you can enjoy a 500% first-time deposit bonus with up to 125% available as a reload bonus.
WTG Bingo offers way more than just bingo. Their hot slots area contains some ‘reel’ delights to check out, along with jackpot slots and classics.
What is a classic slot?
The classics, sometimes referred to as old-fashioned slots, typically have several notable features:
- Three reels
- Classic symbols, such as cherries and other fruit, golden bells, lucky 7s, and bar symbols (in ones, twos, and threes)
- Typically, no bonus features or free spins
- One payline
While many of the classics have just one payline, some do pack in more. The key element for a game to be called a classic is to have three reels.
Why play the classics?
There are many reasons why classic slots are great to play, as we’re about to find out:
- They’re easy to understand and play, which is ideal for newcomers to online slot games
- They’re good if you want to learn how slot games work without things becoming too complicated
- They’re nostalgic, recalling memories of old fruit machines you may have played already
Some people like the online version of the fruit machine, with all the tasty morsels you’d expect to see there. However, classic slots occasionally take on different themes. These are perfect for you if you like something different.
Today’s classic slot
Classic doesn’t just mean three reels. There have been a few twists to those reels though:
- You might see games with a 3 x 1 format or a 3 x 3 format. The latter option allows for more paylines while still operating on the usual three-reel idea.
- Another modern example is the appearance of way wins with a three-reel slot, with 27 of them provided for the 3 x 3 format.
These twists give the classic slot more appeal. If you have only ever tried one-line slots before, these could persuade you to check out more possibilities.
That’s not all, though. Modern slots some players call classics feature various other elements far removed from the original one-armed bandit machine:
- Five reels – the more reels you get, the more potential there is for more lines
- 20 or more paylines – some games offer up to 100 of them
- Ways to win – for example, 243 ways for a five-reel slot with three icons per reel
- Cluster wins – where prizes are given for finding matching icons in a group
- HD graphics – sharper, clearer, and more engaging
- Bonus features – they can appear on the reels or take you to another location on a second screen
- Free spins – these can occur in three-reel classics but are way more common in five-reel slots
Our favourite classic games
We love classic slots with a twist, where you get more than just one line to bet on. Even if you think the basic classics aren’t for you, we’d encourage you to check out the following. They each have a demo version if you want to try them before dipping into your budget.
7s to Burn
There’s a fiery background to this slot, which comes packed with cherries, stars, and bar symbols. It also features a Hi-Roller betting option alongside the regular one. 77 is the wild symbol and there are five lines to cover instead of just the one.
This tasty game looks refreshingly different from the usual three-reel fruit-filled slot. It adopts a 3 x 3 reel format, giving you nine lines to play on. The lucky 7 is a wild and the bell must appear three times to award a Prize Pick. You even get eight free games whenever you find three scattered bar symbols.
Which classic slot game are you going to play today?
There are plenty to choose from if you’re ready to play. Where will you begin… and will you manage to net some prizes along the way?