We love slot bonuses! If you are new to playing slots and you haven’t encountered any of these yet, don’t play until you have read our crucial guide on what to expect. If it’s worth knowing, we’ve included information on it below.
Where to get the best slot bonuses
Say Cheers and enjoy some great slots alongside the popular bingo games at Cheers Bingo. Take a spin on their Mega Wheel for a shot at some free spins to get started.
Check out some popular slots when you land on the home page at Wink. There are plenty of new titles to try, and they’ve got up to 30 free spins for you when you join, too – no deposit required.
Secure up to 500 free spins from the wheel when signing up to use Tea Time Bingo. It’s not all about bingo – they’ve got some great bonus slots too.
What are slot bonus features and how do I get them?
Slots with bonus games are among the most popular ones you could find online today. There are two main ways you can trigger the bonuses in any game.
Lining up matching symbols
Typically, you’ll need three or more identical symbols to appear for a bonus to be won. These can appear in several ways:
- In consecutive spots on the same line from the left-most reel
- Anywhere in view
- Anywhere on specific reels, i.e on the first, third, and fifth reel
Performing specific actions
Here are a few examples of how this would work:
- Finding two specific icons next to each other on the reels
- Finding bonus symbols anywhere on the middle three reels
- Finding one symbol in a specific position – normally in the second position on the middle reel
Slot bonus features
There are various ways slot games with bonus features work. Watch out for these features to crop up in the slots you play in future:
- Free spins – these are very popular, giving the player a quantity of free spins for achieving a certain task, such as finding three or more scatter icons in one spin
- Pick and click – find the appropriate number of triggering icons and pick one; click on it to reveal a prize or bonus feature
- Pick and match – this will usually happen on another screen, where several items are shown, and you must choose from them until you match three to secure a prize
- Spin the wheel – exactly what it sounds like, where you spin the wheel to find out what you have won (some versions of this might have more than one round with several wheels, each with progressively better prizes available)
- Progressive jackpot bonus rounds – if you reach this bonus round, you will usually need to match icons to secure one of several progressive jackpots (our favourite, but also the hardest one to trigger!)
- Gamble bonus – we aren’t keen on this, but a winning combo could be gambled to try and net a bigger prize; lose and you lose the lot though
Bonus symbols to look for
Standard reel symbols
These are your basic slot machine symbols and are usually associated with the theme of the game. Some might be labelled as bonus or jackpot symbols, but if not, they should still be highlighted in the paytable, where their role would be explained.
These earned their name because you need only find the required amount for them to trigger the bonus. They do not need to appear consecutively on the same line to count.
Wilds come in all shapes and sizes. We’ve highlighted some of the most common ones you’ll see below:
- Wild/stacked reels – this is where a complete stack of wilds would appear on the same reel, occupying every space
- Multiplier wilds – the wild displays a multiplier value, i.e. 2x, and some games feature two or more different ones
- Expanding wilds – if an expanding wild appears on a reel, it expands to fill up that whole reel
- Sticky, locked, or frozen wilds – essentially different names for the same thing, but they all refer to wilds that stay in position for a certain quantity of spins
- Spreading or walking wilds – a triggering wild may appear anywhere, but it would then move one space to the left or right with each successive spin before disappearing from the reels
Slots with great bonuses
Which games features the best bonuses? There are plenty of them, but we’ve highlighted a couple below.
Wild stars, sticky wilds, and expanding wilds all appear in this entertaining slot game. You also get the chance to earn up to 20 free games with a multiplier worth up to 6x.
Rainbow Riches Pick ‘n’ Mix
You can choose up to three bonus features from the five seen before you even get to the reels of this game. Road to Riches, Pots of Gold, Free Spins, Cash Crop, and the Magic Toadstool bonus are all available to choose from, with different triggering symbols for each.
Check the terms and conditions for a game before playing
We prefer to play free slots with bonus rounds to see how they work before placing cash bets on them. You should also read the terms and conditions (usually part of the paytable) to discover the rules, so you know which bonuses are included. This should also explain how they work and how they are triggered.
Are you keen on playing slots with bonuses?
Now you know all about them, we bet you are! Check out our suggestions above and go from there.